For any brand, creating and sharing content that captures interest and provides value to consumers is always a win — especially when done as part of a well-rounded SEO strategy. And while tapping into trending current topics or timely seasonal subjects is a great way to lure traffic to your website in the moment, creating content that perpetually delivers value to readers can keep attracting audiences for even years after its initial publication. And this is exactly the idea behind creating “evergreen content” … and why it can be so valuable to marketers and brands.
What is evergreen content?
A crucial element to any content marketing strategy — and any well-thought-out SEO strategy — evergreen content is any content that maintains its relevance and allure over an extended duration. It stands the test of time by addressing enduring questions, concerns or interests that are consistently relevant to the target audience. And like evergreen trees retain their foliage throughout the seasons, evergreen content provides a lasting usefulness and value to its readers and viewers.
This timeless quality makes evergreen content a powerful asset for businesses aiming to establish a strong online presence. By creating content that remains relevant for an extended period, businesses can attract a steady stream of organic traffic, enhance their SEO efforts and build credibility as a reliable source of information within their industry. Additionally, evergreen content serves as a foundation for ongoing content marketing strategies, as it can be repurposed, updated and shared across various channels to continually engage and educate the target audience.
The benefits of creating evergreen content
As a cornerstone of a robust content marketing strategy, evergreen content offers a broad range of benefits that can contribute to a brand’s long-term success in attracting visitors to its website. Among the advantages evergreen content can deliver:
- Sustainable website traffic: Evergreen content consistently attracts organic traffic over time, as it addresses enduring topics and concerns relevant to your audience.
- SEO boost: Search engines favor content that stands the test of time. Evergreen pieces tend to accumulate backlinks and maintain or improve their search rankings, contributing to a sustainable SEO strategy.
- Brand authority: By creating in-depth, evergreen resources, you position your brand as an authoritative and trustworthy source within your industry. This can enhance your reputation and help attract a loyal audience.
- Time and cost efficiency: Once created, evergreen content requires minimal updating, reducing the need for continuous production. This efficiency allows you to allocate resources strategically and focus on other aspects of your content marketing plan.
- Social media traction: Timeless content can be shared consistently across social media platforms, helping maintain engagement and bring in new audiences long after the initial publication.
- Lead generation: Evergreen content, especially in the form of comprehensive guides or tutorials, can serve as valuable lead magnets, attracting and nurturing leads over an extended period.
- Adaptability: Evergreen content can be repurposed into various formats (videos, infographics, podcasts) or updated with fresh information, ensuring adaptability to changing trends without having to start from scratch.
- Educational resource: By providing evergreen content that addresses common queries or challenges that your audience faces, you position your brand as an educational resource, fostering a deeper connection with your target demographic.
Ultimately, the benefits of creating evergreen content extend far beyond immediate engagement, helping provide brands that leverage it with a solid foundation for sustainable growth and success in content marketing.
Examples of evergreen content
Evergreen content takes various forms, providing timeless value to audiences across different industries. Here are some top examples of evergreen content:
- Comprehensive guides: In-depth guides that cover fundamental concepts, processes or strategies within a particular industry remain valuable to readers over time.
- How-to articles: Step-by-step guides on performing specific tasks or solving common problems can resonate with audiences searching for practical solutions, maintaining relevance indefinitely.
- FAQs: Creating a thorough frequently asked questions section on your website addressing common queries can help ensure that your audience finds valuable information at any point in their customer journey.
- Tutorials and educational content: Video and written content that teaches a skill or explains a complex topic continues to attract viewers and readers and remains relevant, especially when the content focuses on evergreen subjects.
- Historical content: Articles or features that delve into the history of a particular industry, product or trend can serve as timeless references for consumers seeking context and understanding.
- Product reviews and comparisons: Reviews and comparisons of products or services provide enduring value to consumers making purchase decisions, aiding them in choosing the right option for their needs.
- Expert interviews: Conversations with industry experts on foundational topics or timeless trends provide valuable insights that remain relevant and can be revisited by your audience.
- Resource lists and ‘listicles’: Curated lists of tools, books, tips or websites relevant to your industry can act as a valuable resource for your audience, showcasing your expertise and providing lasting utility.
- Health and wellness tips: Evergreen content on health, fitness and general wellness is perpetually sought after, as people consistently look for ways to improve their well-being.
- Finance and investment guides: Timeless advice on budgeting, saving or investing serves as a reliable resource for individuals seeking financial guidance, making it a staple in evergreen content creation.
- Infographics: Graphics that present information in an easy-to-digest visual manner can catch consumers’ interest — and are great for social sharing.
By incorporating these evergreen content examples into your content marketing strategy, you can establish your brand as a consistent and reliable source of information while maintaining relevance and engagement with your target audience over the long term.
Keys to creating an effective evergreen content strategy
Here are some traits of effective and evergreen content that provides long-lasting value to your brand’s target audience:
- Thorough research: Base your evergreen content on comprehensive research to ensure accuracy and relevance. This initial investment in understanding your audience’s needs and industry trends will pay off in sustained value over time.
- Timeless relevance: Select topics that address perennial questions, challenges or interests within your industry to ensure your content remains valuable for an extended period. (Trends and timely topics can certainly play a role in your content marketing strategy, but they’re likely to quickly become outdated and won’t stand the test of time.)
- Evergreen keywords: Incorporate evergreen keywords into your content, titles and URLs to enhance its search engine visibility. Focus on terms that are consistently searched by your target audience, contributing to sustained organic traffic.
- SEO optimization: When placing your evergreen content on your website, adhere to best practices for on-page optimization such as incorporating keywords into your page title, adding alt text to images and hyperlinking to other evergreen articles to improve your rankings with the search engines.
- Clear and concise structure: Present your content with a clear and organized structure. Use headings, subheadings and bullet points to make it easy for readers to navigate and extract key information.
- Visual appeal: Enhance your content with visually appealing elements such as images, infographics or videos. Visuals serve to not only break up lengthy blocks of text, but also contribute to a more engaging and shareable piece.
- Regular updates: While the core of your evergreen content can remain unchanged, be sure to periodically review and update the content to ensure the information provided remains accurate and relevant. Consider including a “last updated” date to signal freshness to your audience and search engines.
- Promotion strategy: Develop a promotion plan to ensure your evergreen content reaches a wide audience. Share it on social media, include it in email newsletters and consider paid promotion to maximize its visibility.
- Mobile-friendly design: With an increasing number of users accessing content on mobile devices, ensure your evergreen content is optimized for mobile viewing. Responsive design contributes to a positive user experience.
- Interactive elements: Incorporate interactive elements such as quizzes, surveys or calculators to engage your audience. Interactive content tends to be more memorable and encourages longer periods of engagement.
- User-generated content: Encourage your audience to contribute to the content through comments, discussions or submissions. This not only enhances the depth of your content, but UGC also helps foster a sense of community around it.
- Sharing and repurposing: To elevate the reach of your evergreen content, be sure to share it on your social media channels. This can be a great way to fill any lulls in your brand’s social content calendar — and thanks to its enduring relevance, you can re-share pieces of your evergreen content with relative ease.
By adhering to these key principles, you can create evergreen content that not only stands the test of time, but also resonates with your audience, contributes to your brand authority and forms a valuable asset within your content marketing strategy.
Get expert help creating content with long-term attraction
Home to a collection of award-winning professional copywriters and editors, the creative and content team at Brandon has years of experience creating and executing evergreen content strategies for clients. And when our strategically crafted content — evergreen or otherwise — is leveraged as part of a brand’s SEO strategy, it has time and again proven to be interesting, valuable and useful to consumers … and successful in boosting website traffic and attracting high-quality leads that convert.
Further, as a fully integrated marketing firm, our team of certified brand strategists can cover the full spectrum of your brand’s marketing needs. From e-commerce, influencer marketing, email marketing and SEO to social media, digital marketing, media, creative, analytics, public relations, brand strategy, web design and more, we can meet all of your brand’s marketing requirements in one place. To get started with help ranging from a simple website analysis to a comprehensive strategy tailored to boost the performance of all your marketing campaigns, contact us today.