If I had a nickel for every time I heard a friend or acquaintance say, “I don’t have time to get on Facebook,” well, I guess I would be as rich as Mark Zuckerberg.
I, too, was once one of those people until I fell victim to the peer pressure to sign up. Now, I love, and am almost addicted to, the convenience of sharing, shopping and exploring with friends. I am proud to be one of the more than 500 million users on Facebook.
For those that think Facebook is dying, take a look at these amazing numbers and think twice:
• 50% of active users log on to Facebook in any given day
• The average user has 130 friends
• The average user has eight friend requests per month
• People spend more than 700 billion minutes per month on Facebook
• 35 million users update their status each day
• The average user is connected to 80 community pages, groups and event
• More than 70 translations available on the site
• About 70% of Facebook users are outside the United States
• More than 300,000 users helped translate the site through the translations application
• There are more than one million developers and entrepreneurs from more than 180 countries using Facebook for commerce
• Every month, more than 70% of Facebook users engage with platform applications
• More than 550,000 active applications are currently in use on Facebook
• More than one million websites have integrated with Facebook
• More than 150 million people engage with Facebook on external websites every month
• Two-thirds of comScore’s U.S. Top 100 websites and half of comScore’s Global Top 100 websites have integrated with Facebook
• There are more than 150 million active users currently accessing Facebook through their mobile devices
• People that access Facebook via their mobile device are twice as active on Facebook than non-mobile users
• There are more than 200 mobile operators in 60 countries working to deploy and promote Facebook mobile products
I am still a Facebook rookie and need to pick up my activity based on the average user. So, it looks like I am going mobile!